Jevin Maltais - Remote Team Consultant
Name: Jevin Maltais
Current Job: I help non-technical professionals build their first software product idea: theRemoteCTO.com
Current Location: Ottawa, Canada
Current Computer: ~MacBook Pro 2017 13”~ Thinkpad X390 with Manjaro with i3 window manager
Current mobile devices: Pixel 2
What does your typical work day look like?
I work from my home office 3 times a week. The other days I head to my coworking space (Coworkly.ca).
- 6am to 8am - Wake up, feed the kids, prepare lunches, daycare/camp drop off
- 8am-noon - Depends on the day but I usually do deep focused work in the morning when I have the most energy
- Noon-1pm - I train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 10 minutes away a few times a week. Otherwise just a normal lunch
- 1pm-3:30pm - When I usually do my meetings or lighter work like emails etc.
- 3:30pm to 4:30pm - Depending on my energy level, I might take a nap or play some video games. Otherwise I’m still working until the bell.
- 4:30pm until 7:30pm - Family time. I often will prepare dinner, we will play in the yard, head to the park, do a quick bike ride. Then get the kids ready for bed
- 7:30pm - 9:30pm - My wife and I will talk about our day, plan, do some todos and watch some TV.
- 10pm bed
Describe your workspace setup:
I use my MBP as my second screen and a 25” for my main screen. I have a standing desk but I rarely use it :smile:. I upgraded from my terrible Aeron chair to a Steelcase Gesture and it’s been a really great move for my back. I do podcasting (buildingremoteteams.com) from this same space with a pretty cheap setup: AT2100 Dynamic, cheap arm, and the Focusrite Scarlett USB. I’m almost entirely paperless so I use my Scansnap for everything and my beefy shredder to get rid of everything I possible can. One thing that’s important is having some “swing space”, a desk that is available for short term TBD things that are transitional. Like mail, a place to do repairs, etc etc.
What do you listen to while you work? Spotify 100% Usually lofi jazz, or EDM with no words.
Aside from your phone and computer, name a gadget you can’t live without in your workspace (ie. coffee mug/headphones/wireless mouse, etc.): My Bose Q35 are incredible. Great sound quality and sound reduction when I’m in my coworking space